14 May 2008

Hot Flash: Working With Your Internal Temperature Turned Up

I take my jacket off for the third time this morning and tell a co-worker again how hot I am. I calculate that I have about 13 years before retirement so I better get used to it. I have to work and I am going through menopause. My doctor tells me some women can experience symptoms on and off into their 70s.

I wonder what the younger women and the men in the office must be thinking as they watch the older assistants heat up...

Here are some tips that help me cope with the heat:

  1. Keep a cold glass of water at your desk and sip on it throughout the day. The colder the better...
  2. Dress in layers so you can easily take a jacket or sweater off when the heat goes up.
  3. Get regular exercise. The last thing I feel like doing when I am having a hot flash is to go to the gym and get hot and sticky, but it actually helps and I come back feeling refreshed.
  4. Get plenty of rest. Sleeping is a challenge, but we need our rest if we are going to do our jobs efficiently during the day.
  5. Take vitamins and try to eat healthy.

My daughter recently told me about some special pyjamas for women in menopause made by HotCoolWear, a Toronto company. They also have clothing you can wear at the office because hot flashes are not reserved just for the night time. I am definitely going to check this place out.

I have had it easy compared to some. Except for the regular hot flashes and sleepless nights, it is not too bad. A friend of mine told me that her memory is getting very bad as she heads into menopause. It is becoming more and more imortant to write everything down. I have had a bad memory for many years, so nothing new for me in that department...

If you enjoy shopping, try buying some comfortable but stylish layered clothing. Treat yourself if you can to a colour and a nice haircut. I recently had a pedicure and manicure to get ready for the summer season. Whatever you can do to make yourself comfortable and feeling better about yourself will help.

Here is a women’s health site for more information on menopause. If you are experiencing difficult menopausal symptoms that are affecting you at home and work, you should see your doctor.

No comments: