5 April 2008

Just Say Yes!

When I turned 40 I decided to say “Yes!” There were so many things I wanted to do, but I would let my fear of doing them stop me. I decided the next time someone asked me to do something that I normally would shy away from I would say “Yes” and do it. Public speaking was one of those things. Not long after that I was asked to speak to a group of teen girls at a camp and I said “Yes”. I found out I loved being at the front, I could make people laugh and I really enjoyed speaking.

When my daughter got married a few years ago, my sisters and I decided to do something we never, ever would have done. We practiced for months to get it down just right and at my daughter’s wedding reception we got dressed up in bridesmaid dresses from the 70’s and did a Dancing Queen routine. We were a hit and got a standing “laughing” ovation. I'm not sure if they were laughing at us or with us, but we all had a blast.

I have since said “Yes” to travelling on my own and have gone to some beautiful places. I said "Yes" to online dating and met some really nice people. I said “Yes” to writing and had two articles published in a magazine and got paid for them. I said “Yes” to writing this blog and have enjoyed it very much.

Saying “Yes” can open many doors you have only let yourself dream of entering. Don’t let fear stop you from doing the things you would like to do. Say yes! Who knows what opportunities could be around the corner?

Now that I am over 50...Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Helene Sinclair said...

Patricia that's an amazing Story!! I love it because I can so relate. I just read a book not long ago called "The Age of Miracles: Embracing the New Midlife" by Marianne Williamson and it rings true to this! I'm going to be 43 in September and feel like I've just started living! I have a wedding to be "MC" at in September so like you - saying 'YES' to things I normally would shy away from. You only live once... now if I could come up with an original idea like yours to make my nephew's wedding day memorable... that would be great!