3 June 2008

Boss Appreciation Day?

Did you know there is something called "Boss Appreciation Day"? I have never heard of it, but apparently it's on October 16th. My sister told me about it and it got me thinking about some qualities that I have appreciated in some of the bosses I have worked for and some other qualities I have wished for. Here are some that I came up with:

  • A boss who is understanding of all we do in a day and appreciates our hard work and let's us know by taking the time to say thank you.
  • A boss who respects us for what we know and let's us do our job.
  • A boss who does not hover.
  • A boss who includes us in their successes.
  • A boss who considers us part of the team.
  • A boss who lets us run when we have a rush to do and doesn't get in the way.
  • A boss who will go to bat for us if needed.
  • A boss who is not afraid to admit when they have made a mistake.
  • A boss with a sense of humour.
  • A boss who has a vision for what they want to do with the company and what their role is and communicates that to the assistant.
  • A boss who understands when we are sick or if a family member is sick and allows us to take care of family business without making us feel guilty.
  • A boss who does not take advantage of their position by asking us to run personal errands, if that is not our role.
  • A boss who does not keep track of every minute late or everytime we leave early, but keeps in mind the lunch hours we work through and the times we stay late.
  • A boss who takes the time to teach us the business so we can do a better job assisting them.

I have had bosses with most, if not all, of these qualities. Unfortunately, I have never acknowledged this day to anyone I have ever worked with. This year I will diarize it in my calendar.

OK, so now we've been given lots of notice. No excuses! Let's remember to say thank you to our bosses on October 16th.

No comments: