7 June 2008

Happy Retirement to someone who gave me a chance...

When I started looking for a job after taking time off to raise my daughter, I had certain criteria in what I was looking for:

· I did not want to work downtown;
· I did not want to live downtown; and
· I certainly did not want to work for a lawyer.

I was a country girl and loved living in the wide open spaces. I wanted to find a job in the suburbs so I didn’t have to drive all the way into town and I was hoping to still live in my small home town. I hated trying to find a parking spot, so downtown was not my choice to find a job. I had worked for a lawyer while living in Northern Alberta and knew I didn’t want to do that again. It was long hours and no thanks...

I started to pound the pavement looking. I temped here and there for a year. Was I ever going to find anything permanent? Finally, I got a job interview through the temp agency for a one-year contract. It would be the longest contract I had been offered so I was anxious to do well in the interview.

When I got the details of the job I was dismayed to find it was downtown and in a law firm. I didn’t have much choice so I plunged ahead and went to the interview, all the while thinking it was not my first choice, but I needed a job so I had to try. I interviewed first with the HR manager and did well. She liked me and said she would get back to me. I got a call a few days later to interview with the partner who was looking. I was nervous because I really needed the job. The man I interviewed with was very nice, but was concerned about my lack of legal experience. I left the interview not really knowing how well I had done.

I finally got a phone call to say they wanted to hire me and could I start in a few weeks? Now I had to find a place to live and think about my commute to work. I ended up moving to an apartment downtown and walking to work, that's how close I lived to the office. Sometimes what we think we don’t want, ends up being exactly what we need. I never regretted any of the circumstances I found myself in.

A few days ago I went to this man’s retirement party and there were a lot of nice things said about him. As I sat listening to the speeches, I remembered the interview and the chance he gave me so many years ago. He said he wanted someone fast and accurate. I promised him I could deliver. He said he was concerned about my rusty legal experience. I think I started begging at that point...

When I started the job, I was nervous because I didn’t understand anything about the type of law he was practicing. He assured me that he would take care of the legal side of it, if I would keep my end of the deal and work hard and fast.

Eleven years later, I am sitting saying goodbye as he starts this new adventure in his life. He taught me everything I know about the legal field. I got more of an education from him than I ever could have received at school. He was patient and kind and a wonderful teacher. When I got my next job I was now considered a senior legal assistant all because I was given a chance and I said yes and did something I never wanted to do.

Thank you Mr. B for taking me on and I wish you all the very best in your retirement.

4 comments:

Foley-In-Charge said...

lovely story....

hope you are doing well.. we are sweltering in 107 degree heat...

Patricia Robb said...

It is about the same here. I put the air conditioner on last night, but it is still humid. Sucks the life out of you. I think we will all be going to work this morning a little groggy and cranky from the heat. Unless I get an air conditioned bus, it won't be pretty...

Maura said...

I will trade the two of you for a teeny tiny bit of sun. In Calgary we have already had 99% of our June average rain fall (our usual rainy month). We have seen that yellow orb in the sky for only one day (before today).

Hope you stay cool and Keep up the good work Patricia!

Patricia Robb said...

Hi, I saw you on AdminSecret.com, at least it is someone with the same handle as you.

I didn't realize you were a fellow Canadian. I used to live in Fort McMurray, Alberta in 1980.

Yeah, you guys haven't been getting the nicest weather out there. My sister lives in Victoria. We had a warmer winter than she did, but boy did we get a lot of snow.