4 August 2007

I or me?

I once worked in an office with a former grade-school grammar teacher, and she taught me an easy way to remember when to use I or me in a sentence. She said if you can change the sentence around and use we or us you can easily determine whether you need to use I or me. For example: In the sentence, "We went to the store", the correct use would be "Brenda and I went to the store." In the sentence, "Do you want to go to the store with us?" the correct use would be, "Do you want to go to the store with Brenda and me?"
Therefore, if you can change the sentence around and use we, then the correct use would be I and if you can change the sentence around and use us, then the correct use would be me.

For more on this and answers to other questions please click here.1

1 AskOxford.com, Ask the Experts, http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutgrammar/meandi?view=uk, (accessed August 4, 2007)

And for other grammar helps, please see the link list on the right called "Grammar - Ask the Experts" for good websites for grammar, spelling and punctuation helps.

No comments: