5 December 2009

Do you like what you do?

CONFUSCIUS SAID, “Love what you do and you will never work a day in your life.”  How true that is! Here are some ways I have found to enjoy what I do:

1. INTERVIEW WELL
Make it a conversation. You are interviewing them too so ask questions. Take notes during the interview so you don’t forget what you wanted to ask. And realize you are not suited for every job or office. If you don’t get it, it wasn’t the right job for you or the right time. I have never regretted any of my employment situations. I keep looking forward to new experiences.

2. APPRECIATE THAT YOU HAVE A JOB
It may not be the perfect job, but you are employed.  I wrote an article awhile back called On the Outside Looking In.  I went through a time of looking for a job and it seemed I wasn't getting anywhere.  Finally I landed a job and have been working ever since, but I still recall that time of not working. 

3. BE LOYAL TO YOUR BOSS
Respect your boss as a person, but also for the position they hold. It is much better, and we will be happier, if we work well together and that starts with respect and loyalty. The assistant/boss relationship certainly is one of the closest working relationships with some comparing it to that of a work wife.

4. GET TO KNOW YOUR CO-WORKERS...
and find out early on who you can go to and trust. I have a network of assistants that I call friends, although some are just phone colleagues, but we help each other. We are not an island. It works better if you have a whole pool of resources with different strengths to call upon. Makes your work life much easier...

5. KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE
Last year I took a questionnaire to see what my strengths were. When the results were in, I met with the person who administered it and one of the things it showed, other than the fact that I ranked very high in administration, was that I work best on short-term projects where I can see the end in sight. I had never thought about it before, but it was true, I like to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I’ve been able to plan and complete a project successfully. I will have all kinds of energy to work on a project if I know it is ending at one point. But if it is a job that goes on and on with nothing to show for it I get bored. This is an important thing to know. If you know what works best for you and if your job is 80/20 on what you like then you can put up with the small stuff like filing and filling out expense forms.

6. WORK/LIFE BALANCE
We do spend more time at work than at home, but we should try to keep a balance and when we go home, we should be in home mode and when we take holidays, stay away from work (remotely or physically).

No comments: