30 December 2007

Using Slang

As a Canadian I am told I say “eh” a lot. I deny it emphatically until I am in another country for a period of time, then even I start to hear myself say it and I have to agree I do say "eh" a lot.

My son-in-law is from Newfoundland, Canada. Newfoundlanders are known for their slang language, but he is noticing our Ottawa Valley slang. He has pointed out that we say "Yepper" as a definitive way of saying "yes". We say "give er" and "get er done" when encouraging someone to do a good job or finish a task. And of course we use the greeting "Gi’day" and we tell folks we were "out and about" when referring to some gallivanting that we’ve been doing around town?

I tend to speak more Ottawa Valley when I am at home and in a relaxed setting with family and friends. I am sure after this time of being out and about at family gatherings when I go back to work on January 2nd I will have to polish up my language and start to speak more professionally, but until then, "Gi’day from the Ottawa Valley my friends! For the New Year my advice would be to give er all you’ve got and try to get er done as best you can".

All the best in 2008.

No comments: