22 January 2012

Injuries at the desk

As many of you know, I have been in administrative work for over thirty years.  As much as I've enjoyed it, a lot of injuries come with our line of work.  Recently, I was being assessed by a personal trainer at my gym and was complaining about my weak arms and she immediately asked what profession I was in.  As soon as I told her what I did for a living she gave a knowing nod.  She then listed a number of things that office workers suffered from because of our long hours sitting at the computer.  I had experienced most of them.  I am hoping she will be able to help me get some strength back, but in the meantime someone sent me this article that I thought was important to share to avoid some of these problems.

18 Important Ergonomics Tips for Online Students &Workers. http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com/2012/01/18/18-important-ergonomics-tips-for-online-students-workers/

If you are a younger worker, please take note of the tips as it will certainly help you further down the road.  If you've been at it for awhile, there is still hope so it doesn't get worse.  I definitely agree with all of the tips, but particularly #9.  I always try to have everything at my fingertips and avoid too much reaching.  This makes sense not only ergonomically, but if you have everything at hand you will be able to find things more easily, which causes less stress.  And yes I know sometimes we just don't have the time to look after ourselves, but it's worth it to take 30 or 40 minutes to set yourself up to succeed.  It will pay off in the long run.

No comments: