24 March 2008

Pay Attention to What Your Boss is NOT Saying: What you can tell by your boss’s body language

I knew something wasn't quite right. My boss was just too happy for a day that I was under the weather and had to go to a doctor's appointment and he had to rely on others to help him out. I filed it in the back of my mind, but I wasn't surprised when he told me he was leaving the company. His body language had given me a clue. The next time you get little hints from your boss's body language, pay attention.

A friend gave me a few examples of clues she was given that could have given her a heads up.
  • Negative Body Language:
    She wondered if something was up when her evaluation meeting was postponed and then her boss started avoiding her. Next thing she knew she was laid off.
  • Positive Body Language:
    At another place her boss was very relaxed with her and would ask her for advice on different things around the office. Her boss didn't avoid her. It was a very comfortable working relationship and she felt secure in that job.

Here is an article that talks about that very thing, What the Boss’ Body Language Says. But as this article correctly points out - it is not always all about you. Sometimes your boss's body language may seem stressed or they seem to be avoiding you, but it has nothing to do with you at all. I thought it was an interesting article and made some good points.

No comments: