Keeping an up-to-date vacation calendar is important so these overlaps are anticipated and in some cases vacations have to be re-scheduled. This should be done a few months before the summer rush begins. Replacements will have to be sorted out and work priorities assigned. A team environment comes in handy at this time so the assistants can plan to cover each other. This way there is little disruption to the normal office workflow.
Setting up a calendar in Word is probably the easiest way to do it and everyone can see at a glance who is going to be away.
To open a calendar in Word 2003 do the following:
- On the File menu, click New.
- On the New Document task pane, under General Templates, click the Other Documents tab.
- Double-click Calendar Wizard.
- Follow the steps in the Wizard.
In Word 2007 the instructions are:
- Click on the Office Button in the top left-hand corner, click New.
- Click on Calendars on the left hand side and then you will see you have a choice of calendar years and styles to choose from. It is that simple.