19 February 2008

What it’s Like to be a Male Admin

You can find Richard Rinyai on his blog The Professional Assistant. For Richard's complete bio see the previous post Introducing Guest Blogger Richard Rinyai.

Being a male administrative assistant in a predominantly female profession is something everyone asks me about. It feels like I have broken new ground by entering this profession.

I have been an admin for many years and have worked in a construction company, an investment firm and for a large publishing firm. From my unique perspective, here are some things I've experienced:
  • Being treated in a different, but positive way, by staff members. Since our department is mainly made up of females, I seem to help the office balance in a more serene way.
  • Clients seem to be surprised that I am in this profession, but take a liking to it. They realize that a male admin can do the job just as well as a female.
  • The world has become more liberal and accepts male admins now with greater enthusiasm than before.
  • I feel as if I am part of the in-crowd, but I'm still the new kid at school. I feel as if I have created an historic moment within the company, by (most likely) becoming its first male administrative assistant.

At first, I was a little worried about becoming an administrative assistant. Although I did have the skills and experience, I wasn't sure employers would view the move as a social disconnect. I had to prove to them that I was just as good as anyone, and I have been successful in my career. Being a male administrative assistant has its ups and downs, but the ride is definitely exciting and fulfilling.

This article was originally published in Administrative Assistant’s Update newsletter.

To subscribe to AAU: carswell.customerrelations@thomson.com.
To download a sample copy of AAU: www.writingink.ca/aau.html.

Until next time,

Take care of your clutter,

Richard Rinyai

No comments: