2 October 2007

E-Mail Management by Nancy Flynn: BOOK REVIEW

Well I got the books I ordered through the IAAP website1 and I did promise you in an earlier article that I would do a book review when I read them.

Fortunately, I take the bus to work and have 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading time each way so I was able to finish the first book entitled E-Mail Management: 50 Tips for Keeping Your Inbox Under Control by Nancy Flynn.

In the Preface of the book the author writes: Originally intended as a productive-enhancing, time-saving tool, e-mail has evolved for many of us into a time-consuming, productivity-draining obligation that demands our attention during business hours and personal time alike. And as I am sitting here at midnight writing this article and being constantly interrupted by the ping of incoming email, I can relate to what she is saying. Are we in control of our email or is our email controlling us?

I found in the first few chapters, although I knew what she was trying to say: Don't be a slave to your email! I felt her suggestions were unrealistic, especially in a business where email is a big part of our communication and communication is our income, but once she got into the actual email tips and ideas for managing your inbox I thought it was quite interesting and helpful.

I did come away realizing that I manage my business email not too badly. I had already taken some of the steps she suggested, for instance telling my family and friends to email me on my home email account and not at work. That cut down on a lot of inbox clutter. I actually hadn't realized how much personal email I was getting at work until I re-directed everyone to my home email account. I also re-directed any feeds I had subscribed to to my home email, unless they were work related.

And I came away with some new vocabulary like nettiquette and Crackberry addicts, you'll have to read the book to find out what those words mean...But on the whole I would rate this book as a 4 star in usefulness for managing your business and personal email.

To order, please go on the IAAP website<http://www.iaap-hq.org>1 under Education & Training: Educational Products/Bookstore.
1 (accessed October 2, 2007)

No comments: